All nominations must include:
- A completed cover sheet.
- The principal nominator's letter (up to 2 pages), including a discussion of the nominee's outstanding accomplishments that draw together multiple fields of investigation to advance biogeochemical science (this letter may be cosigned by up to 3 additional people);
- One letter of support (maximum of 2 pages);
- A brief (up to 4 pages) CV for the candidate;
- A listing of the candidate's publications or a link to an online listing.
Professional Ethics Disclosure
When submitting a nomination, the principal nominator is asked to check one of the following:
- I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the person I have nominated has not been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct (including harassment allegations), and that he/she is not currently the subject of such an investigation.
- I am aware that the person I have nominated has been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct, or that he/she is currently the subject of such an investigation, but would nevertheless like to proceed with the nomination.
Please note that selecting the second case is not necessarily disqualifying, but you may be contacted by a member of the GS or EAG Executive or Ethics Committee for a confidential discussion.
Who may nominate
With few exceptions, anyone (regardless of Society membership) may make an award nomination. The current Board of Directors and the current selection committee of the award in question may not make nominations nor provide supporting letters for nominations. Additionally, the OGD Executive Committee may not nominate nor provide supporting letters for the Hayes, Treibs or OGD Best Paper Awards. Members of the EAG Council may not nominate nor provide supporting letters for the Geochemistry Fellows honor. All, however, may encourage others to make nominations.
Who may be nominated
With few exceptions, anyone may be nominated for the award. Award selection is not judged with regard to citizenship nor membership in the Geochemical Society.
These groups may not be nominated:
- The current Board of Directors.
- The current selection committee of the award in question.
- Past recipients of the award.
- OGD Awards (Hayes, Treibs, and Best Paper): The current OGD Executive Committee
Award selection is based on the scientific merit of the nominee and the quality and completeness of the nomination. To be considered for a 2024 award, nominations must be received by October 31, 2023. Once submitted, nominations are held for three award cycles (e.g. 2024-2026). If the nominee becomes ineligible during this period, the nomination will be removed from those being considered. Nominators may update their packages every year to keep them current.
Nomination packages may be submitted online as a PDF file.