All nominations must include:
- A completed cover sheet. Download the Word Document or the PDF File
- The principal nominator's letter (up to 2 pages) including a discussion of the nominee's outstanding contribution to geochemistry or cosmochemistry (this letter may be cosigned by up to 3 additional people);
- One letter of support (maximum of 2 pages);
- A brief (up to 4 pages) CV for the candidate;
- A listing of the candidate's publications or a link to an online listing.
Professional Ethics Disclosure
When submitting a nomination, the principal nominator is asked to check one of the following:
- I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the person I have nominated has not been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct (including harassment allegations), and that he/she is not currently the subject of such an investigation.
- I am aware that the person I have nominated has been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct, or that he/she is currently the subject of such an investigation, but would nevertheless like to proceed with the nomination.
Please note that selecting the second case is not necessarily disqualifying, but you may be contacted by a member of the GS or EAG Executive or Ethics Committee for a confidential discussion.
Who may nominate
With few exceptions, anyone (regardless of Society membership) may make an award nomination. The current Board of Directors and the current selection committee of the award in question may not make nominations nor provide supporting letters for nominations. Additionally, the OGD Executive Committee may not nominate nor provide supporting letters for the Hayes, Treibs or OGD Best Paper Awards. Members of the EAG Council may not nominate nor provide supporting letters for the Geochemistry Fellows honor. All, however, may encourage others to make nominations.
Who may be nominated
Eligibility for this award is met if this criteria is satisfied on the first day of the year in which the award is given: the candidate must have received a recognized doctorate or its equivalent within seven years. (For 2023: Nominee must have received a PhD on/after Jan 1, 2016.) Nominations from all fields of geochemistry are encouraged. Award selection is not judged with regard to citizenship nor membership in the Geochemical Society.
These groups may not be nominated:
- Past recipients of EAG's Houtermans Award
- An individual may not receive the Patterson and Clarke Awards for the same body of work.
- The current Board of Directors.
- The current Clarke Award selection committee.
- Past recipients of the Clarke Award.
Award selection is based on the scientific merit of the nominee and the quality and completeness of the nomination. To be considered for a 2023 award, nominations must be received by October 31, 2022. Once submitted, nominations are held for three award cycles (e.g. 2023-2025). If the nominee becomes ineligible during this period, the nomination will be removed from those being considered. Nominators may update their packages every year to keep them current.
Nomination packages may be submitted online as a PDF file.